Sunday 13 October 2013

Camp in Bordeaux

So I totally mislead you with the title. You're thinking inner city, gorgeous architecture, cute cafes. Not really. we're talking mini outer suburb AUSTENSE, a massive two storied house in the middle of the forest, next to a gorgeous lake. The house was old and cream coloured with blue shutters very French. The downside was that there were cockroaches and spiders everywhere and we had to cut firewood every half an hour to keep everyone warm haha.

Seriously though I enjoyed this weekend an indecent amount. Perhaps one of the most enjoyable nights of my life, I am so crazy glad I am involved with AFS. I hung out with Czech David, Hungarian Richard and French Foucauld. And met up with some of the girls I roomed with in Paris - Brazilian Maria, Norwegian Vilde, Japanese Eri. I'll post a photo of the camp in this space once it goes up online - we're going to be in the Sud-Ouest Newspaper!

The accuiellis, gosh I think that's how you spell it (kids from overseas) did games and activities together, getting to know each other and talking about what we like/don't like about France, one on one interviews about how things are going, crazy French dancing games outside in the rain etc. We wrote letters to ourselves to read at the end of our exchanges. The partants (french kids going overseas) did other stuff, including my host sister Marion - who passed the English test to go into America! It doesn't mean she will but she is allowed to.

Im going to volunteer for AFS as SOON as I get back into New Zealand, the volunteers at this camp were absolutely amazing, treating us like equals and sharing stories and being so understanding I can actually not wait for the next camp in December.

Other camp activities included a talent show (I did a magic trick with cards and a boy called Alexi), silent breakfast with no conventional cutlery (Johan was using a mug to scoop his cereal out of the silicon cake mould he was using as a bowl into his mouth I couldn't breathe I was laughing so hard). And helping to prepare dinner too! I like cooking so it totally wasn't a chore for me, I was involved in the fruit salad, the capsicum and tomato sauce and something with garlic I never really saw.

So yeah, it would take the longest post ever ever to explain in full all of the things I did this weekend, you should see how many pages I filled in my diary, but that's the gist. There are so many more notes I want to make but I am practising restraint. As ever, if anyone is curious, hit me up for details.

Next post will be sometime next week because in exactly six days Marion and I depart for Paris. Casually. More details on that as I receive them, just know that I am crazy excited to see Paris again, and hang out one on one with Marion (hearing some of the horror stories from the other accuiellis I feel so sorry for them, but crazy happy for me because she is such an awesome host sister).

Stay Super,
Holly :)

No comments:

Post a Comment