Thursday 24 October 2013

City of Lights and Love

My goodness I have a lot to tell you all about.

So I have been back in Pau for a few hours, I got back at midnight last night (the train was delayed four hours!). Paris was unbelievable. Normally I try not to get my hopes up about things like that, I tried to expect Paris to be a little disappointing and not really all that I had hoped for, but it really was. It was everything I ever hoped it would be, we're talking since I was ten or eleven years old, and I am ETERNALLY grateful that I had the opportunity to go back there.

I can't give you all the details, but I'll give you the highlights for me:

1. The first night the family that we were staying with (thank you Facomprez family!) took us to dinner in this gorgeous little genuine Italian restaurant in some little side street of Paris and afterwards we went for a walk and saw the city lit up at night, from the top of the hill of Sacre-Cœur. It was really amazing. We also saw the square with all of the impressionist artists at night it was really really cool.

2. Went into the Louvre, saw in person the Mona Lisa and the Venus de Milo, it was really surreal for me to be standing IN FRONT of these artworks whose names are known all over the world. I really loved the Venus de Milo, and the other art works in the Louvre was beautiful too.

3. Went into the Notre-Dame cathedral, again incredible. There was a service happening while I was in there which was neat to see, the cathedral is HUGE HUGE HUGE and really intricately designed and the stained glass windows were mindblowing detailed.

4. Went up the Eiffel Tower. This was really the best part of Paris for me, ever since I was a little girl, Paris was the city that I most wanted to visit and the symbol of Paris for me was the Eiffel Tower. It was amazing to be able to TOUCH it, and see the entire city from it. I had an INCREDIBLE hot chocolate up there too with like a cup of whipped cream on top. I can best describe the moment as euphoria.

Me and Marion up the Eiffel Tower

Obviously we did other things, there is such a variety of different scenes in Paris, it's not all gothic architecture and monuments. Took the métro and the buses, did some shopping (H&M Paris!) and generally just wandered around. There is a gorgeous little network of alleyways with weird international restaurants and lights everywhere in the Latin Quarter that I particularly loved. One day I'll revisit the city and go back there.

So it's not really a huge post for such a big event but, as ever, if you want any more details hit me up. I do have other news outside of Paris too. MASSIVE shout out to Uncle Steve, Aunty Claire, Liam, Michaela and Thomas for the postcard from Samoa! I hope you guys had an amazing time, keep an eye on your letterbox :)

Also just a general thank you to everyone who is keeping in contact. There are those of you that I didn't really expect to keep chatting to me while I was overseas and I am flattered that you like me enough to keep it going :) Merci beaucoup.

Im on holidays for two weeks now! Don't have many plans, want to spend a night with Taryn next week but apart from that I'm free as a bird. I might go shopping with Marion, maybe hit up the French cinema one day? It's good to be free :)

Stay Super,
Holly :)

No comments:

Post a Comment