Friday 20 December 2013

Afs Camp in Bordeaux! (and other minor happenings)

Went to Bordeaux! Actually Bordeaux this time, no ancient house in the middle of a forest, we legit saw the city and it was incredible. This was on yet another AFS chapter event (I love my chapter to bits, everyone is so amazing). We all met up on the Saturday, I took the TGV with new arrival Maria José, and hit up the Christmas markets, ice-skating and this incredible cathedral in the centre of the city. We all went back to Fanny's for dinner, CREPES, and chilled there the night. It was so great catching up with everyone.

But every silver cloud has a murky grey lining, so I've had tonsillitis all week! Totally wouldn't recommend it, even if the amount of medicine these French doctors throw at you is absolutely outstanding. I got concerned Facebook messages from my class though, asking when I'd be back at school though, which made me smile :)

Also today I did a presentation for my class! Subject: New Zealand. you'd be surprised how much research I actually had to do. It went reasonably well, I made everyone pavlova-based cupcakes (recipe haphazardly morphed together by yours truly) and they didn't throw them up which was kind. Also, the whole thing was done in French! Three points for the foreign girl everyone :)

And last Friday (I'm awful at this chronological order thing) I met up with Miss Lassaube in
Pau (for those of you who don't know her, she is a French teacher at Rosehill College, who is in Pau for the holidays), and we had lunch at a café and did a tour of the castle together. It was really cool, we talked purely in FRENCH (another two points for the foreign girl everyone) and the castle was absolutely amazing.

That's pretty much all I've got news wise, christmas is coming up soon so I'll no doubt have more in a week or so, since I won't be posting again before Christmas, MERRY CHRISTMAS EVERYONE!! I hope you all get up to something fun :)

Also, it has been brought to my attention (against my will, I'm trying not to count the days) that I am sliding ever closer to that precipice of mixed feelings that is the end of my exchange. Not that I'm close, I'm just a heck of a lot closer than I was in September, you know? Gosh, maybe I am close. Im not kidding about the mixed feelings thing either, I kind of came here expecting to take away a language, some stories, some souvenirs. But I've really attached myself to some people here, this'll be the first time in my life that I'll have to say a permanent goodbye en masse and it's freaky as heck, even as much as I'm looking forward to all the things I miss from home. I'm opting for the keep-the-feels-box-closed-until-the-last-moment motto. We'll see how I go :)

That was a poetic post. I'll submit it for my creative writing in English next year.

Stay Super,
Holly :)

No comments:

Post a Comment